Formal Tour of the Tunnels underneath the Lodge where Marilyn Monroe and Frank Sinatra and others would slink off to their cabins so no one could see them.
In order to get immersed in the history of this Lodge, please make sure you can attend this event. It will set the mood for the rest of the days you are there.
Tour ends with a glass of Champagne in the Frank Sinatra Celebrity Showroom where the Rat Pack played their last gig. Hear about the Sinatra Mural Story.
*For those flying in from the East Coast, think about arriving on Wednesday, having some free time on Thursday and then being able to attend the tour and reception.
7:00 to 9:00 p.m.
Cocktail Party Reception in the Frank Sinatra Showroom with a No Host Bar and heavy Hors d’Oeuvres
Free time after the Reception.
Selections to be made when registering.
Friday Lunch (Delegates Only)
• Smoked Turkey & Havarti on French Roll with Caesar Salad
• Sliced Roast Beef, Smoked ham and Cheddar on whole grain bread with red potato salad
• Artisan roasted vegetarian wrap, with pasta salad
Friday Dinner (Delegates and Guest/Spouse)
• Filet Mignon
• Macadamia Salmon
• Wild Mushroom Ravioli
Saturday Lunch (Delegates Only)
• Prosciutto, Sun-Dried tomatoes with Pesto Spread on Ciabata with Caesar Salad
• Grilled Chicken Caesar Herbed Wrap with Pasta Salad
• Artisan Roasted vegetarian Wrap with tossed Green Salad
Friday, May 3rd and Saturday May 4th - Agenda will be forwarded by your Regional Director.
We would like to give you some more facts about this amazing place you will be visiting.
The Cal-Neva Lodge is the oldest originally licensed casino in the United States. When you walk into the Lodge, you will first notice that it is somewhat old and dated. Instead of viewing it this way, look at it as if you were waking into a time capsule and feel the ghosts from the past around you. The views from your rooms are beautiful, but the furniture is dated. It is the way it was in the 50’s. Imagine who might have stayed in your room and with whom…. This is why the Tour is so important because you will hear all about the history and immerse you into this amazing place. Instead of dated, it is exciting.
• Frank Sinatra’s first performance on a Cal-Neva stage happened in late July, 1958 when he climbed up on stage (in the Indian Room) and jammed with his first professional employer, namely Harry James and his wife Betty Grable!
• Sam “Momo” Giancana, suspected head of Cosa Nostra (the Mafia), was discovered staying in the Lake Tahoe area the summer of 1963 when the Cadillac driven by his girlfriend (Phyllis McGuire) ran out of gas near the old Christmas Tree Casino. Sam gambled in their craps table and won $3,000, before winning another $1,900 the next day. The Nevada Gaming commission then alerted the FBI, who re-initiated tracking him.
• The Lodge was the focus of a Prohibition raid in 1931 where Federal agents found a “large stash of illegal alcohol”. The third Cal-Neva co-owner, James C. McKay, was used to this type of law enforcement action as he had his private residence raided by Prohibitions agents seven years earlier in 1924.
• Judy Garland may have never been discovered by MGM (and never made The Wizard of Oz) if she had not accidently left a hatbox at Cal-Neva and had gone back to retrieve it. Her unplanned return to the Lodge (in June, 1935) caused her to meet Lew Brown, (a lyricist) and Al Rosen, a talent scout who then began the arduous task of marketing her to the movie studios. He eventually introduced her to Jack Robbins who then saw her potential and encouraged Louis B. Mayer audition July himself.
• Marilyn Monroe allegedly overdosed at Cal-Neva Lodge and almost died less than one week before she was discovered dead by her housekeeper in her Los Angeles Home.We hope that these few tidbits have opened up your mind to visiting this amazing place. Additionally, there are so many places to hike, walk, drive around the lake and take in this breathtaking beauty. And, oh yes, there is gambling. But, let’s not forget that the Delegates are here to work.
For those of you interested in being pampered, the Lodge has an amazing EuroSpa. Call 775-298 3066. If you mention APWA Spring Delegates, you will be given a 15% discount.